Distance Learning Orientation
Welcome to Online Learning at BGSU Firelands!
Balancing the demands of work, family, and school poses difficult challenges. Many BGSU Firelands students find that online classes can help to make those challenges more manageable.
Online courses are a virtual classrooms that provide more flexibility to students who can attend class at times and places that are most convenient. In this instructor-led environment, BGSU Firelands students interact with one another, benefit from a range of online resources, and receive guidance from instructors.
These online classrooms are offered through Canvas, a web-based, course-management system, that can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection using student MyBGSU login information. That means that you can take your course from any home computer, laptop, the library, or even through a smart device (phone/tablet). Through Canvas instructors provide course materials, discussion boards, virtual chat sessions, online test/quizzes, and more.
You can access your online classes via MyBGSU.
My BGSU Portal training can be found here.
Depending on the course, you may be required to take proctored exams or on-campus assessments at a testing center.
In order to determine if distance learning is right for you please take some time to review the assessment questions in the below dropdown.
There are quite a few differences between learning in an on-campus, face-to-face environment and learning in an online environment.
So, what kinds of technological skills do you need to be a successful online learner? Use this checklist to ensure you have the minimum recommended technology skills for learning online:
DO YOU KNOW HOW TO...
- Send e-mail
- Receive e-mail
- Attach a file/document to e-mail
- Upload a file/document
- Create documents in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or other applications
- Save documents in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or other applications
- Print documents
- Open PDF files
- Login to MY BGSU
- Download and install basic software
It is important to read and understand the student and online student expectations. Many of the traditional expectations apply to online student expectations and can be found here.
Online Student Success Tips
- Check into Canvas daily. It is important to visit your online class regularly to check the calendar for assignments that are due and for any conversation messages from the instructor or classmates.
- Study every day; don't wait until the last minute. Even though the classes are online, it is still necessary to study and learn the materials and lessons the instructor gives you.
- Manage your time wisely; a planner/organizer might help. This is much more important when in an online class because you are expected to manage your time on your own and be able to set your own schedule to fit your needs.
- Set realistic, positive, measurable goals.
- Understand how you learn best. You might find that online classes are just the thing that you were looking for, and for some people online classes can take more time to adjust to. It is important that you feel comfortable with the way that you are learning so that you do not become frustrated or overwhelmed.
- Find a study environment that works for you.
- Read your textbooks in small, manageable amounts.
- Respond to your classmates; get to know your instructors, and be an active participant in discussions.
- Seek the help of advisors and instructors, before little problems turn into huge problems.
- Canvas Student Resources page: Important announcements regarding Canvas services, along with links and phone numbers for help with Canvas.
- Library and Library Resources: Links to the catalog, databases, course-specific guides, interlibrary loan services, and much more.
- Student Services: Information regarding online services offered to students, along with many useful links.
- Fast Facts: General information regarding BGSU Firelands.
- LibGuide: Tutorials, guides, and videos for BGSU Firelands courses.
- Academic Calendar: Calendar for the current BGSU school year.