Academic Regalia Policy

Academic ceremonies, including Commencement, are important to the history and tradition of Bowling Green State University. This document outlines the guidelines for academic regalia, which is required of all participants, for Commencement at BGSU.

Associate and Bachelor Degree Candidates:
Candidates for bachelor’s degrees wear the appropriate black graduation gown and mortar board (cap). Tassels are worn on the mortar board. The color of the tassel indicates the degree to be conferred. The tassel is worn on the right side of the mortar board. Following conferral of the degree, the tassel is placed on the left side of the mortar board.

Master Degree Candidates:
Candidates for master’s degrees wear the appropriate black graduation gown and mortar board (cap). Black tassels are worn on the left side of the mortar board. The colors on the academic hood indicate the degree to be conferred.

Doctoral Degree Candidates:
Candidates for doctoral degrees wear the official University regalia of brown robe, brown tam and the BGSU hood. Graduates carry their hoods to the stage during the Commencement ceremony. The hoods are placed on the graduate while on stage.

Ceremonial Ornaments, Honor Cords and Sashes
Graduates who have specific academic achievements or who participated in an academically-based student organization may wear a ceremonial medal or honor cord. Examples include:

Graduates of the Honors College wear the BGSU Honors medallion
Presidential Award recipients wear the appropriate medallion
Graduates with Latin honors wear honor cords
Graduates with military service wear approved cords
Sashes may be worn by graduates who have participated in academic programs, degrees, honor societies, student organizations, and other campus affiliations. Sashes and other ceremonial ornaments must comply with University standards. Sashes may not be more than three inches in width. Use of University marks (logo, seal) must be approved by the Office of the Provost.

Questions regarding academic regalia may be directed to the Office of the President, Office of the Provost or the Office of Marketing and Communications at