BGSU Firelands provides the gateway into careers in nursing through partnerships with Lorain County Community College, Firelands Regional Medical Center School of Nursing and BGSU’s eCampus. Earn your associate degree and your bachelor of science in nursing conveniently, affordably and close to home.
Earning your associate degree
Students interested in a career in nursing can utilize one of two academic pathways BGSU Firelands maintains with regional partners: an embedded cohort-based model to earn an associate degree in nursing from Lorain County Community College, or a transfer partnership to earn a diploma in nursing from Firelands Regional Medical Center's School of Nursing and an associate degree in science from BGSU Firelands.
About the Lorain County Community College pathway:
- All coursework is completed at the BGSU Firelands campus in Huron, Ohio.
- Students complete nursing support courses through BGSU Firelands, preparing them for admission to LCCC’s associate degree in nursing program.
- Students admitted to the LCCC nursing program enroll in LCCC courses taught by LCCC faculty at BGSU Firelands.
- Graduates earn an associate degree in nursing from LCCC and are eligible to sit for RN licensure.
About the Firelands Regional Medical Center School of Nursing pathway:
- Coursework is completed at BGSU Firelands in Huron and the FRMC School of Nursing in Sandusky, Ohio.
- Students complete nursing support courses through BGSU Firelands, preparing them for entry to FRMC’s nursing diploma program.
- Students admitted to FRMC’s nursing diploma program enroll in FRMC courses taught by FRMC faculty in Sandusky.
- Students who complete the nursing diploma program from FRMC are eligible to sit for RN
- licensure and can transfer completed FRMC coursework toward an associate of science degree from BGSU Firelands.
Completing your study with a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing
Students completing either pathway are eligible to enroll in BGSU’s RN to BSN program, an entirely online degree completion program offered via BGSU’s eCampus. Students transitioning from the FRMC or LCCC pathways are guaranteed a seamless transition from their associate degree to the BGSU bachelor of science in nursing.
Shelly Bussard, Ph.D., RN, ACNS-BC, CNE
Position: Instructor / Director RN to BSN Program