Natural & Social Sciences
Welcome to the Department of Natural and Social Sciences at Bowling Green State University - Firelands College. The Department is comprised of faculty from the disciplines of the Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Mathematics.
In addition to the goals set forth in the Firelands College Governance Document and the Bowling Green State University Academic Charter, the Department of Natural and Social Sciences has these specific goals:
- To provide courses of instruction which are academically challenging and rewarding for Firelands College students and which articulate both in objectives and in credit hours with the Bowling Green State University curriculum.
- To provide a program of courses which will offer Firelands College students at least two (2) years of a prebaccalaureate program in the disciplines of the department. Scheduling of the individual disciplines will be planned so as to provide, as nearly as possible, one-half of the courses for the major.
- To provide a program of courses which will offer Firelands College students the Associate of Arts, Associate of Applied Science, and Associate of Science degrees in two (2) years, and to generate and maintain appropriate Associate degree programs.
- To offer service and enrichment courses for students in non-departmental programs and for non-degree students.
- To aid students in special academic endeavors by actively supporting independent and interdisciplinary offerings.
- To establish and maintain for each academic area, library holdings, classroom resources, and laboratory facilities adequate to support student research and courses offered through the department.
- To encourage professional growth among department members and to support means by which research efforts, teaching excellence, and personal development are promoted.
- To serve the University, College, and local community in ways which utilize personal and professional strengths and expertise of the members of the department.