Applying for Financial Aid
To be considered for financial aid, you must take the following steps:
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at least 3 months prior to your anticipated date of enrollment. Priority is given to those who apply early. Applications should be received by February 15th for the following academic year. For speed and accuracy of filing, we recommend that you file your application on-line. You may do so at www.fafsa.ed.gov or you may make an appointment to meet with our Financial Aid office and we will assist you in filing your application electronically.
- Be certain you have Bowling Green State University listed to receive your FAFSA data. The Title IV code for Bowling Green is 003018.
- Apply and be admitted to BGSU Firelands.
If you are interested in obtaining a federal student loan, Bowling Green State University participates in the Direct Lending Program, which means that you will complete all of the necessary paperwork through us. Your Award Notification will tell you how much you will be eligible to receive. Some additional steps are required for first time borrowers from BGSU.
- You will need to complete an Entrance Interview. You may do this on-line by going to http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/sfa/page43084.html
Please note that if you are a transfer student and you completed an entrance interview at your previous institution, you will still be required to complete the process here.
- You will also have to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). You will need your PIN number from the U.S. Department of Education as well as the name, addresses and phone numbers of two personal references with you to complete this process. You may complete your MPN online by going to http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/sfa/page43084.html
BGSU Email Account
Once admitted you will receive information about setting up a BGSU email account. You must activate your account because Student Financial Aid uses this electronic service to inform students of award and financial aid application status.