BGSU Firelands Instructional Services provides a variety of secretarial and instructional services to BGSU Firelands faculty and instructors. In addition to providing a central location for printing, binding, photocopying, typing and collection / distribution of campus mail Instructional Services provides electronic grading services, facsimile services, test creation and general secretarial support. In addition, Instructional Services is responsible for the collection and compilation statistics for the semesterly Student Description of Teaching.
Faculty needing emergency copies may use the copy machine in the faculty lounge . You must obtain an authorization number from Computer Services in order to access the faculty lounge copier.
Copyrighted materials © (articles from magazines, chapters from books, etc.) will be copied only upon completion of the "Photocopying Request Form" which is available in the Instructional Services Office. This form must be completed before the material is copied.
(419-372-0755) There is a FAX machine located in Instructional Services for business use. The charge for a PERSONAL FAX is $1.00 each for the first 2 pages and $.50 per page thereafter. This charge is to be paid and accompanied by a Toll Report prior to sending your FAX.
Two (2) Apperson graders and bubble forms are available for faculty use. One machine is located in the Instructional Services Office, another is located in the Faculty Lounge and MAY NOT be removed from either area.
Faculty outgoing mail should be placed in the "outgoing" mail basket on the counter. This mail will be delivered to the Foundation Hall for posting at approximately 11:00 a.m. Monday through Friday.
This is work having no relationship to BGSU Firelands classes or professional development and will be charged at the rate of $.10 per copy or $.08 per copy in the event the instructor supplies his/her own paper. Personal copying on cover stock will be charged at $.15 per copy. Requests for personal materials will be fulfilled only after all class work requests are completed, and will be interrupted at any time that high priority assignments are received. However, for lengthy projects, there will be a charge for the cost of all labor and material used.
This is a service which relates to faculty professional development (theses, dissertations, articles, merit, promotion, tenure, etc.) and is considered a departmental matter. Such assignments will be performed only after all faculty class work is completed and may be interrupted at any time when high priority assignments are received.
Supplies available for faculty use include envelopes & stationery (in faculty desk drawers of grader area), tape, book mailers, grade books, paper clips, rubber bands, labels, paper clips, pencils, pens, file folders, legal pads, chalk, index cards, etc. (in room 335B). Special items may be ordered from the Budget and Operations Office.
Typewriter For Faculty Use
A typewriter, envelopes and stationary supplies are available in the Instructional Services Office.
Xerox 2101 Copier
The Xerox copier will be operated only by the BGSU Firelands support staff.
Instructional Services Guidelines
The BGSU Firelands faculty recognize that in order to provide for ample time to plan and prepare work assignments, and to promote the most efficient operation of the Instructional Services Office, it is necessary to adopt certain procedural rules.
The BGSU Firelands faculty, therefore, adopts the following procedures to make optimum use of the resources available to them in the Instructional Services Office (Room 335, West Building).
Work Assignment Priorities
Instructional Services Work Assignment Priorities - All work assignments will be performed in the following order; however, the supervisor makes the decision regarding the following priorities:
1. Completion of urgent administrative work as authorized by the Dean.
2. Typing/Word processing of class assignments, examinations, syllabi, vitaes, departmental work, handouts, etc. as requested by any and all faculty.
3. Reproduction of faculty-prepared materials designed for classes being taught.
4. Support for Program directors.
5. Preparation of professional correspondence, papers, merit materials (not to include theses, dissertations, and materials for courses being taken by faculty), etc.
6. Assisting the administration in preparation of officially sanctioned university materials. (e.g., parking regulations, inventory, committee reports, etc.)
7. Assisting with the typing/word processing and duplicating of co-curricular and extra-curricular faculty-prepared materials (e.g., Firelands Writing Center, etc.)
8. Reproduction of materials for the following offices: Financial Aid, Career Services, the library, College Relations, Admissions, Student and Campus Activities, Enrollment Services, the bookstore, and Budget & Operations.
9. Preparation of requests from retirees.
ALL COPY REQUESTS FOR FACULTY REQUIRE AT LEAST A 24-HOUR NOTICE... LONGER FOR LENGTHY, MORE COMPLICATED REQUESTS, AS WELL AS THOSE REQUESTS NEEDING TO BE TYPED/WORD PROCESSED.
PLEASE NOTE: PRIOR TO THE START OF SEMESTER (TO BE CERTAIN YOU ARE READY FOR YOUR FIRST CLASS), IT IS NECESSARY THAT YOU TURN IN YOUR REQUESTS EARLIER.
All requests will be completed in priority order.
1. Requests are to be initiated on a Work Request Form in its entirety, attached to the material needed, and placed in the "Work Requests" box on the counter of room #335. If before or after office hours, your requests may be placed in the "IN" basket in the faculty lounge.
2. In the event it is inconvenient for you to visit Instructional Services, you may email your requests to: InstServ@bgsu.edu and attach the file you wish to have completed. Please also remember to provide the proper instructions to go along with your attachment.
3. Completed requests will be placed in each faculty member’s file drawer in the Instructional Services Office. Part-time faculty drawers are #46, #47, and #48.
You may also request that your completed materials be placed in the faculty lounge for pickup.
E-Mail Work Submissions
We do recognize that, at times, circumstances arise when physically turning in requests to the Instructional Services Office is not convenient; therefore, please refer to the email address below to submit your work requests and documents. Please list the number of copies and anything else pertinent to your request in the body of the email, attach the file, and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Xerox 2101 Copier:
The Xerox copier will be operated only by the BGSU Firelands support staff. Use of the copier by other offices will be on a first-come, first-served basis. There will be no exceptions for those who are habitual with late work and unpreparedness.
Monday-Thursday: 8 am - 7 pm
Friday: 8 am - 4:30 pm
Monday-Friday: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
BGSU Firelands Office of Instructional Services
Faculty office - Room 335 West Building
Huron, Ohio 44839